Inside The Market
Wire Fraud Advisory
Criminals are targeting social media and email to steal information. This is particularly common in real estate transactions because sensitive data, including social security numbers, bank account numbers, and wire instructions are often sent by electronic means. We do not want you to be the next victim of wire fraud. Money wired to a fraudulent account is stolen money that typically cannot be recovered. Additionally, there is generally no insurance for this loss. You may never get the money back.
DO NOT TRUST EMAILS CONTAINING WIRE INSTRUCTIONS
- If you receive an email containing wire transfer instructions, immediately call your escrow officer to ensure the validity of the instructions.
DO NOT TRUST EMAILS SEEKING PERSONAL/FINANCIAL INFORMATION
- If you receive an email requesting personal/financial information or asking you to download, click on a link, send, and/or do anything that may seem unusual to you, call your escrow officer immediately prior to acting on the suspicious email to verify the validity of the email.
TRUST YOUR SOURCE OF INFORMATION
- Never direct, accept or allow anyone in the transaction to consent to receiving transfer instructions without a direct personal telephone call to the individual allegedly providing the instructions.
- It is imperative that this call be made to a number obtained in person from the individual or through other reliable means, not from a number provided in the email or the wiring instructions.
There are many online sources that can provide useful information regarding similar topics including, but not limited to, the following sites:
- The Federal Bureau of Investigation
- The Internet Crime Complaint Center
- The National White Collar Crime Center
- On Guard Online
VERIFY AND NOTIFY
Before you wire funds to any party (including your lawyer, title agent, mortgage broker, or real estate agent) personally meet them or call a verified telephone number (not the telephone number in the email) to confirm before you act! Immediately notify your banking institution and Settlement/Title Company if you are a victim of wire fraud.
"Sandy with State Territory Realty is awesome! This is the second time she has listed one of our homes. Always doing everything she can to find a buyer or an agent to help sell it. She has superior customer service skills and a superior knowledge of the industry that helps sell and find you homes. I highly recommend Sandy with State Territory Realty. Our house sold long before others in the neighborhood which have either come off the market or are still for sale. Without her, I truly feel we not have been able to sell."
"It was a pleasure working with Sandy on the sale of my home. She was easy to get in touch with and very responsive to texts and emails. Her suggestions on what needed to be done with the property before listing was appreciated. I felt supported along the way and that she was on my side. I highly recommend Sandy!"
"Easy to work with, knowledgeable and quick to respond. Always keeping us updated on status and really listening to her clients. Sandy is wonderful and will do everything in her power to help you find the perfect home to buy or to find the perfect buyers for your home!"
"Sandy is a true professional and as helped my wife and I on numerous transactions and purchases. She is honest and hard working. Sandy followed up with us during every stage of the home buying process. She was always available for questions and made the process very smooth for us. Sandy is very knowledgeable about each area of Tucson. We will definitely contact her in the future when we are in the market to buy or sell."
"I completed a short sell with Sandy. She was very knowledgeable about this type of situation. She was very upfront and honest about the whole process and stayed committed until the very end."
"I have purchased and sold homes using Sandy Heath and would always use her for future home acquisitions or sells. Her professionalism and expertise show in every aspect with the lenders the sellers and all the sub contractors needed to close the deal. Sandy is always prompt getting back with me at every stage of the sell. She is very attentive. Sandy listens to your requirements to find you the right home."